I notice in the past few days alt of girls are buzzing about longer hair… going on a hair growth journey for 2017 here is a few foods and sources to help. 🙂
Main foods for hair growth:
Foods Sources of Folate: Lentils, black-eyed peas, beans, dark leafy greens, broccoli, sunflower seeds, berries, artichokes
Foods Sources of B6: Chickpeas, wild salmon, oats, bananas, pistachios, lentils, tomatoes, brown or wild rice, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, avocados, eggs, dark leafy greens
Foods Sources of B12: Most animal-based foods contain B12. Some of the best picks include wild salmon or other wild fish and eggs.
Foods Sources of Biotin: Almonds, walnuts, dark leafy greens, wild salmon, cauliflower, avocados, raspberries
Food sources of Vitamin C: Pineapple, oranges, tangerine, papaya, bell peppers, lemon, grapefruit, dark leafy greens
- Lean Red Meat: According to a research study, less iron intake can lead to baldness and hair loss. Usually, it is found that women are iron deficient and that is visible with their unhealthy and thin hair. Lean red meat is a popular food to increase the iron content in your body.
- Wholegrains: Wholegrains, like as barley, oats, buckwheat, broken wheat, ragi, bajra promote hair growth. Whole grains are storehouse of zinc, vitamin B and iron which are good for hair follicles. These regulate hormones which have a direct effect on the growth and thickness of your hair. Having these nutrients in the body protect your hair.
- Brown Rice: Brown rice is another food which has lot of zinc content in it, which is important for the growth of your hair. Consume brown rice to prevent hair loss.
- Beans and Lentils: To supplement follicles and make your hair scalp healthy, consume lentils which contain zinc, protein, iron and biotin. This is infact great for all vegetarian, vegans, and meat eaters. Legumes like kidney beans, soy beans also play a great role in hair support and maintenance.
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables (Spinach, Broccoli): Include dark green leafy vegetables in your daily diet. Try to include spinach and broccoli in your diet as much as possible. These green vegetables are rich in folic acid, vitamin A, C and zinc which are essential for healthy living, including thick hair. Spinach is full of iron, folate, beta carotene, and vitamin C which keep hair follicles healthy. It also circulates oil in the scalp. Also, broccoli, another green leafy vegetable with its rich content of zinc, calcium, and folic acid prevents hair fall and helps in boost thick hair growth. Dark Green Veggies packed with vitamins A and C, produce sebum – a scalp oil, that works as a natural hair conditioner.
- Sweet Potatoes: Another popular healthy food which boosts thick hair growth is sweet potato. Sweet potatoes have anti-oxidant beta carotene which is converted into Vitamin A in the body. It is a known fact that Vitamin A is essential for functioning of every cells in the body, including your hair cells. Vitamin A in sweet potatoes helps produce oils that maintain a healthy scalp and also prevents dandruff.
- Eggs: Eggs are packed with 4 basic minerals – zinc, selenium, sulfur, and iron. They are full of biotin, a vitamin B which promotes hair growth. They are also a great source of proteins, which help cells to carry oxygen to the hair follicles. Include eggs in your diet so as to increase the iron and protein content in your body which can help in hair growth.
- Carrots: Carrots have also beta-carotene, an antioxidant which boosts thick hair growth. Consuming carrots, whether boiled or raw, promotes healthy scalp and can brighten up your dull locks.
- Tomatoes: Also include tomatoes in your diet. It prevents hair damage and hair loss, tomatoes being a good source of antioxidant and lycopene.
- Fruits: Vitamin C is always necessary for healthy hair. Lack of Vitamin C in the body can cause hair breakage. So consume fresh fruits every day. Fruits like berries, oranges, Indian gooseberries, kiwis, straw berries supply nourishment to the hair follicles. Also eat bananas for healthy hair. Bananas are rich in zinc and vitamin B.
- Greek Yoghurt: You can opt for low-fat foods like as Greek yoghurt which is rich in calcium, protein, vitamin B and D. In many hair care products, you find the ingredient pantothenic acid in the label. This is produced from Vitamin B5. Greek yoghurt is one such food which is rich in Vitamin B5, which in turn boosts hair follicle health.
- Dark Chocolate: This is one food which every one likes. Yes it is dark chocolates. Rich in antioxidants, iron rich vitamin B, dark chocolates are important for growing thick healthy hair.
- Green Tea: You can reap the benefits of green tea by not only consuming it but also by applying it. Yes, you have heard it right. Consuming green tea is good for your hair health. But you can also wash your hair with green tea which fight dandruff and improve the scalp.
- Walnuts and Almonds: Don’t forget to include dry fruits like walnuts, almonds in your diet. A rich source of omega 3, biotin and vitamin E, walnuts and almonds are essential for healthy thick hair.
- Fish (Indian Mackerel, Salmon, Oysters): One of the best foods to stop hair loss and for a healthy thick hair is fish. . The Indian mackerel is rich in Omega 3 and 6, which rejuvenates the scalp, encourages follicles growth and make your hair thick and healthy. Oyster is another sea food which promotes healthy hair. Oysters are rich in zinc, a lack of which can lead to hair loss including dry, flaky scalp. Zinc is associated with the production of androgens. People with low androgens suffer from slow hair growth and dandruff. Salmon is another fish, which being rich in protein and vitamin D, promotes healthy hair growth. The Omega fatty 3 acids which the body requires are available in salmon fish. So prevent hair loss and grow thick hair by consuming salmon, mackerel, and oysters or other fish.
- Vegetable Oil: Now, you not want thick long hair but you will also prefer soft and shiny tresses. No one wants dry hair, luster less hair. This happens when your diet is too low in fats. So include peanut, olive, safflower and sunflower oil in your diet. These oils can restore the shine in your hair.
- Beef: If you really want to have the same hair as Kate Middleton, then consume beef. This is her secret to healthy hair. Consume a little portion of lean beef just once a week. This will help you grow thick hair and stop hair fall.
- Chicken: You can also get healthy thick hair with lean chicken. Consume chicken as it is rich in proteins, which is good for thick hair growth and scalp.